The list of breastfeeding celebrities grows longer nearly every day. As public figures, being there for their baby multiple times a day demands creative problem-solving and chutzpah as they nurse in front of cameras, assistants, stylists and strangers—and who knows what else.
Each nursing celebrity mom becomes another mother making a stand for breastfeeding as normal, beautiful, powerful, and healthy. And others represent how it can be challenging, tiring, or worthy of the endeavor but not their cup of tea.
Celebrities who breastfeed are role models
Millions of not-famous women mirror celebrities as they hold babies to their breasts throughout the day. They’re just not doing it in front of millions of on-lookers.
Like the rest of us, some actresses, models, singers, or businesswomen were successful, some ecstatic, some in pain, and some willing to stop. Some, like Alyssa Milano, got stopped in airport security. Some, like Gisele Bundchen, nursed while getting ready for a photo shoot. Some, like Rebecca Romijn, nursed twins. Some, like Adele, tried and decided it wasn’t the right choice for her.
All were looking for the best they could give with the life they live.
So let’s take a peek on some who are—or were—doing the deed:
- Liv Tyler https://www.instagram.com/p/BIQGyjIhb24/
- Alyssa Milano https://www.instagram.com/p/BIp1jK_BtxH/
- Thandie Newton https://www.instagram.com/p/BH7Ppx1gRTk/
- Mila Kunis https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087d170000aa0fc7569f.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Chrissy Teigen https://www.instagram.com/p/BGzh7c-Jje7/
- Tess Holiday http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-memorable-celebrity-breastfeeding-moments_us_57bf1e48e4b04193420de9d1
- Tamera Mowry https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf4eef1800002100bcd2bf.png?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Kristin Cavallari http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-memorable-celebrity-breastfeeding-moments_us_57bf1e48e4b04193420de9d1
- Adele https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf4dbc1600002900bfe80a.jpeg?cache=mq3qzy6sa3&ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Padma Lakshmi http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-memorable-celebrity-breastfeeding-moments_us_57bf1e48e4b04193420de9d1
- Karolina Kurková https://www.instagram.com/p/BBIX99ADAw1/
- Brooklyn Decker https://www.instagram.com/p/BAYsyhLjD9J/
- Zoe Saldana https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/586eceb31b00002b006e5ca3.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Jessica Alba https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087c1600003503bfe60a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Blake Lively http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/50-memorable-celebrity-breastfeeding-moments_us_57bf1e48e4b04193420de9d1
- Nicole Trunfio https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087b1800002100bcd0d9.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Kourtney Kardashian https://www.instagram.com/p/1qo_4pk1ii/
- Doutzen Kroues https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087b1700000011c7569d.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Molly Sims https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087c1700000011c7569e.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Amanda Peet https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf539c1600003503bfe821.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Kerry Washington https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf4b77170000aa0fc75866.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Olivia Wilde https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087c1600003503bfe60c.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
- Alanis Morrisette https://www.instagram.com/p/rOgEbCOYM3/
- Gwen Stefani https://www.instagram.com/p/q35El8OLQI/
- Natalia Vodianova https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/57bf087d1800002100bcd0dc.jpeg?ops=scalefit_600_noupscale
Breastfeeding is a highly personal choice that each woman has to decide for herself. Lactation consultants and teachers like to remind us that every drop counts, so whether you breastfeed for two days or two years, you’ve given your baby a healthy start.
Celebrities who breastfeed help normalize it and reduce the stigma, criticisms, and uncomfortable glances many women face. And each woman is a path-clearer for those who come after. Breasts were made for feeding babies—they’re a small miracle, just like your little darling.
To learn more about breastfeeding, download our free Birth Plan eBook now. After three years of research, collaboration with more than 100 childbirth experts and resource centers from Healthy Child Healthy World to the American Association of Neonatal Nurses, the Best Ever Baby Birth Plan Guide is available for a free download.
This new resource for pregnant families is a compilation of top tips and advice from more than 20 nationally-recognized experts in the field including renowned pediatrician, Dr. Alan Greene and GraceFull Birthing founder, midwife Elizabeth Bachner. These trusted experts offer thoughtful guidance for whatever type of birthing experience parents want, in whichever setting they choose.
Published: August 29, 2017 | By SP Turgon, Certified Labor Doula | Reviewed by: The Best Ever Baby Expert Team | Last reviewed: August, 2017